Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accessing the UberApps store behind a corporate firewall

Hi all,

I just installed ubersvn on a work pc to test it out and see what's what.. I was interested to install Jenkins through the app store could not get the proxy settings to allow me. Ubersvn apps store was simply never accessible.

Spoke to one of our network guys.. Apparently between the ubersvn box and the outside WWW, there is firstly a proxy server and then a firewall. Bottom line is that security would not allow an ssl connection from the proxy through the firewall on port 7487.

Is there another way of getting this to work?

Don't normall ssl servers listen on 443?

Is there a way to provide the apps as a downloadable file which could be manually seeded and installed into an offline ubersvn server?

Many thanks..

Dan

Hi,

I second the above. We're very interested in using uberSVN but with the fact that it's HTTPS over port 7487, that won't be passed by our IT policy. Are there any solutions?

Regards

Jas

Comment

This is not news - it's been posted (and much lamented) in several threads on this site.

If your firewall/proxy blocks hits to Twitter, your network guys will discover once you install the product that it pings Twitter on a regular basis by default. I haven't heard yet whether the ability to disable this has been added to the product yet or not. IMHO it should be easily disabled and off by default, but the vision of uberSVN being about "social" development apparently runs counter to that, to some degree.

Comment

It's not possible to use another port at the moment, and without internet connectivity of some sort (whether proxied or not) you'll struggle to get the best out of uberSVN.

You can turn off social stuff in the admin tab > preferences.

Comment

Originally posted by Mand View Post
          without internet connectivity of some sort (whether proxied or not) you'll struggle to get the best out of uberSVN.
          What I take away from this is that uberSVN is not intended for organizations which have a strict policy regarding server access to the internet.

Good to know, thanks.

Comment

It's a fair point. Ultimately we are releasing new updates regularly, which if you don't allow internet access is going to mean you miss out on a lot of the features, both in the core uberSVN product and with uberAPPS. Without connectivity you'd fall behind the latest release fairly quickly, and offline updates aren't readily available outside of the enterprise version.

Comment

Originally posted by Mand View Post
              It's a fair point. Ultimately we are releasing new updates regularly, which if you don't allow internet access is going to mean you miss out on a lot of the features, both in the core uberSVN product and with uberAPPS. Without connectivity you'd fall behind the latest release fairly quickly, and offline updates aren't readily available outside of the enterprise version.
              Please approve my posts so that people (including myself) know what you're replying to.

This brings up another issue. In a lot of environments (like mine), a lot of controls are in place which prohibit automatic updating of critical services, or even plain-vanilla desktops. For example, many companies block access/redirect access to Microsoft Updates, and stand up their own WSUS or SCCM servers so that they can test & deploy patches for their own environment, instead of getting everyone updated when MS says they should be updated - sometimes with disastrous effects.

Simply put: being on the "latest release" is exactly what many organizations may not allow, and the ability to monitor and control updates is needed so that the upgrade you test is the upgrade you deploy.

Comment

Are you able to tell us if it is at least on the road map to allow ssl through 443?

Bringing new software tools into a coperate network and getting endorsement from the numorous 'police departments' is never a quick or easy. I believe it would boost adoption likelihood if touch points like this offered less resistance.

Comment

Hi Mand,

Thanks for your replies. Gutted that we can't change the port number. Will have to wait until we can configure it.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Regards

Jas

Comment

Working...
                  X