This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu / Repository Browser Problem workaround

If you've installed uberSVN on an Ubuntu server you'll encounter a problem with the repository browser not working. The problem was referenced in the thread: Repo Browser fails in Ubuntu ETA FIX

This is a compatibility problem that we're looking to overcome. Until then here's an effective workaround for the problem:

Replacing the integrated repository browser

The integrated repository browser doesn't work with all Linux distributions. The following procedure can be used to replace the browser with the latest version of Sventon (supporting SVNKit):

1. Download the latest version of Sventon with SVNkit support -Download sventon-2.5.0-bin-svnkit.zip

2. Extract Sventon to a folder of your choice.

3. Navigate to that <extract_folder>/sventon-2.5.0

4. Rename svn.war to RepositoryBrowser.war Important! The case must match.

5. On your server, stop the uberSVN service using:

Code:
    <uberSVN_Install_Directory>/bin/ubersvncontrol stop
    6. Navigate to <uberSVN_Install_Directory>/tomcat/webapps

7. Delete the RepositoryBrowser folder and RepositoryBrowser.war

8. Copy in your renamed RepositoryBrowser.war

9. Change the owner and group of RepositoryBrowser.war with:

Code:
    chown <New User>:<New Group> RepositoryBrowser.war
    10. Start uberSVN:

Code:
    <uberSVN_Install_Directory>/bin/ubersvncontrol start
    This is required to expand the RepositoryBrowser.war into the webapps folder.

This process can take a while to complete, so wait a minute or so before proceeding.

11. Once uberSVN has restarted, stop it again.

12. Navigate to <uberSVN_Install_Directory>/tomcat/webapps/RepositoryBrowser/WEB-INF

Open applicationContext.xml in an editor. Search for "configurationReloadSupported" and change the value to "true"

13. Save the applicationContext.xml file.

14. Start uberSVN using uberSVN:

Code:
    <uberSVN_Install_Directory>/bin/ubersvncontrol start
    You now have a working replacement repository browser.

thanks goes to community member zapisto for spotting the problem and testing this workaround.
    Last edited by lucasdigital; 11-28-2011, 09:10 AM.

This fix is not working for ubuntu server 11.04 (64bits).
    I'm also getting some errors in my logs:

ubersvn.log
    [22 May 2011 19:34:57] ERROR (?) - ERROR: ComponentVersion Name: uberSVN-httpd-lin-64 could not be found
    [22 May 2011 19:34:57] ERROR (?) - No entity found for query

catalina.log
    May 22, 2011 8:03:21 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader clearThreadLocalMap
    SEVERE: The web application [/ubersvn] created a ThreadLocal with key of type [null] (value [com.sun.faces.util.Util$1@6908af2a]) and a value of type [java.util.HashMap] (value [{com.sun.faces.patternCache={ = }}]) but failed to remove it when the web application was stopped. This is very likely to create a memory leak.

localhost.log
    May 22, 2011 7:41:35 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext listenerStop
    SEVERE: Exception sending context destroyed event to listener instance of class com.wandisco.ubersvn.init.ServerContextListener
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.wandisco.ubersvn.init.ServerContextListener.co ntextDestroyed(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerS top(StandardContext.java:4174)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.stop(Stan dardContext.java:477
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.removeChild (ContainerBase.java:924)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.undeployApp s(HostConfig.java:1319)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.stop(HostCo nfig.java:1290)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEv ent(HostConfig.java:323)
    at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLife cycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.stop(Contai nerBase.java:1086)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.stop(Contai nerBase.java:109
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.stop(Stand ardEngine.java:450)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.stop(Stan dardService.java:587)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.stop(Stand ardServer.java:744)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.stop(Catalina .java:64
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalin a.java:615)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Nativ e Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknow n Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Un known Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootst rap.java:289)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstr ap.java:414)
    May 22, 2011 7:41:36 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
    INFO: Destroying Spring FrameworkServlet 'sventon'

Comment

Hi Rvega,

Sorry we haven't come up with anything that might help here. The Sventon repository browser is a source of some early problems and ultimate we are planning to replace it with another repository browser. Are you still having problems with this?

Best Wishes,

Ian

Comment

I can't make repository browser works. However this is a really great tool, congratulations i'm using your tool and it is amazing!

Comment

Hey all,

Has anybody found an alternative workaround? I tired the above on a windows box and I am still unable to browser the repository.

Thanks.

Comment

Well I solved my issue with browsing the Repository.

My UberSVN install was setup with the port 9890 but after close inspection my repository has port 9880. Why the difference I have no idea. All I had to do was open up that other port on my router and things started working just great.

Comment

Originally posted by DBCooper View Post
              My UberSVN install was setup with the port 9890 but after close inspection my repository has port 9880. Why the difference I have no idea.
              Because two different processes both can't have the port, Apache has to listen on a different one to the uberSVN portal.

Comment

modification to above details needed for ubuntu 10.04.3

The download location is wrong for sventon -- that only produces a broken .zip file.

Get http://sventon.googlecode.com/files/...bin-svnkit.zip instead.

Other than that, works for me!

Comment

Hi ron,

Many thanks for the heads up on the broken link. I've replaced it with the one you've found.

Comment

I don't suppose there's a fix for Windows as well? My Repository Browser hasn't worked since install. I posted a detailed thread a few days ago, but it doesn't seem to have been approved by moderators.
                    I'm not sure if it's indicative of a larger problem, or if it's safe to continue without the Repository Browser. I guess I'll try posting again.

Comment

I hace installed ubersvn in a Ubuntu 10.04 server and so far I have been able to use everything including the browser. Now the problem is that once I created enough repos to fill the first page under the Repositories tab, I can not use the browser or edit the Repositories listed on the second page. I have not downloaded Sventon fix, but I would say that the problemas are not related, because even deleting the Repositories on that page is not working. Everything works fine with the first page Repositories but not with the others. Subversion itself is working fine and I can interact with these repos ok. Any clues ?

Comment

Originally posted by otrotabi View Post
                        I hace installed ubersvn in a Ubuntu 10.04 server and so far I have been able to use everything including the browser. Now the problem is that once I created enough repos to fill the first page under the Repositories tab, I can not use the browser or edit the Repositories listed on the second page. I have not downloaded Sventon fix, but I would say that the problemas are not related, because even deleting the Repositories on that page is not working. Everything works fine with the first page Repositories but not with the others. Subversion itself is working fine and I can interact with these repos ok. Any clues ?
                        This is a known problem that will be fixed in a future version of uberSVN. In the meantime, you can use the filter at the top right to get the repository you desire onto the first page. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Comment

Thank you! That will work for now. Regards

Josť

Comment

I followed every step to upgrade sventon browser from beta .1 to 2.5.1
                            earlier in sventon browser i was getting list of entries.

now when i try to browse the repository it shows no folders/files in it.
                            it says 0 entries.

please can some one help ?

very new to these things pl. guide.

Shri.

Comment

Hello Shri,

We're sorry to read that you're having a difficult time.

Are you able to access Sventon directory, by entering the address directly into a web browser?
                              (http://<IP ADDRESS>:<SVN SERVER PORT>/RepositoryBrowser/repos/<REPOSITORY NAME>/list/?revision=HEAD)

Failing this, can you view the repository from your browser?
                              http://<IP ADDRESS>:<SVN SERVER PORT>/<REPOSITORY NAME>

Is the repository located in a subdirectory? Currently Sventon is not able to support this, although we will be releasing a fix for this soon.

It may help to attach a screen shot of what you see on the screen - in case there are some small clues to the cause of your problem.

Good luck!

Mk

Comment

Working...
                              X