How to import source into repository

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to import source into repository

I have downloaded uberSVN, installed it, created users, set teir permission, and created one repository. However, I could not find how to import my source files into the repository! As you can see that I am very new on subversion. Can someone help quickly? Thank you.

You must read the manual. You can't just install it and "figure things out" because you'll surely get something wrong.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/...importing.html

Comment

Hello Nelson.

Thanks for downloading and installing uberSVN.

uberSVN has been designed to make the setup of a subversion server very easy, as I hope you have found. However it does not at present act as a client for subversion. Andyl is correct in saying that you should read the red bean book he links because it is a very good introduction and guide to using subversion.

If after reading that guide you have any further questions then please post them here and we will try to help you.

Once again thank you for trying out uberSVN.

Comment

And just to add to John's response, the basic steps you'll be following here to import your source is:

- Install a Subversion Client like Tortoise SVN. You'll find a link to do that in the Quicklinks section of the uberSVN dashboard.
        - Use the options in Tortoise to Import your repository. There's a nice tutorial here: http://wsmoak.net/subversion/demo/tsvn-import.html
        - For the URL of the Repository, press the Copy button on the repository you created from the Repository page of uberSVN. This will put the URL into your clipboard so you can paste into into TortoiseSVN.

Just let us know if you need any more help.

Ian

Comment

Thanks to John and Ian,

I read the document (not all and not in detail because of time limit) and did the following: changed the owner and group of the uberSVN installation. Then I tried "svn import myrepository/full/linx/path http://myhostIP:9880/myreponame. However, it had problem writing to the db lock file: "svn: Can't open file '/opt/uberSVN/repositories/prototype/db/txn-current-lock'ermission denied. txn-current-lock file has 644 permission and the user is defined as the repository admin.

I did not know Tortoise SVN is the client so I did not install it. However, If the problem is the permission settings, Tortoise SVN probably won't help either. I will give it a try anyway.

Nelson

Comment

Nelson,
            Here's a couple of other suggestions to help you become acquainted with the Subversion client command set. There's a set of free training materials at:

http://www.polarion.com/downloads/subtrain.php

The User Training would be the appropriate set to start with.

In addition, if you are using a Windows system as a client, you should download and install the TortoiseSVN, the most widely used Windows client. You can find that on our website at:

http://www.wandisco.com/subversion/download#tortoise

Best of luck!

- Rob

Comment

Nelson, can I suggest you change the owner and group back - Unless that's set to the same user as is running uberSVN you will get those sorts of permission errors.

Ian

Comment

Ian,

If I am just testing uberSVN, I have no problem changing the owner and group back. But, I am using it in our prototype effort. Using owner/group other than "legal" users/group of our team will be consider as a "no no" from manager's point of view. I thought I had found the best subvsersion to use. But if I can not straighten this permission problem soon, I may have to try other subversions. Thank you for your quick response.

Nelson

Comment

Hi Nelson,

It's no problem to change the ownership, but you will also need to change the user that Apache Subversion runs as so it has permission to write to those files. That's easy to do in uberSVN, but for your prototype I'd leave things as they are and I can tell you how to do that when you're ready to go into production. Does that work?

Ian

Comment

Ian,

Don't know what is "the user that Apache Subversion runs"? If it is something weasy to do, could you make my life easy? If we can not get things to work the way it shouldbe, we will never go production. Btw, prototype is not the "pre-life" of the production. Just to calrify in case that is what you were thingking.

Nelson

Comment

Hi Nelson,

Rather than try and explain how to do this within the limitations of a forum post, what I will do is ask our documentation team to put together some detailed instructions for changing the username Apache runs as and publish that within the uberSVN documentation. You will then just need to follow the instructions and make sure the permissions on the machine are all configured correctly as per your IT departments requirements.

I'm sure we can get this done next week. I hope that will be timely enough for you.

Best Wishes,

Ian

Comment

Ian,

I was in a haste and did not pay attention to your last reply on the second page. Please ignore my e-mail response. I copied the contents of my e-mail in below:

Very appreciate that you are willing to do extra to help. I actually have a dead line to set up a usable subversion before our Bi-weekly meeting on next Tuesday. Is it possible to give me some help now so that I can continue my work over the weekend to make sure I can meet the deadline? It really does not have to be a "formal" document.

Nelson

Comment

Originally posted by Nelson View Post
                          Ian,

Don't know what is "the user that Apache Subversion runs"? If it is something weasy to do, could you make my life easy? If we can not get things to work the way it shouldbe, we will never go production. Btw, prototype is not the "pre-life" of the production. Just to calrify in case that is what you were thingking.

Nelson
                          Nelson,

With uberSVN, Apache runs as a user called ubersvn. When you or any other user commits to a Subversion repository, it's Apache that actually writes your changes to disk on the server, so it's Apache that needs write access to your repositories on disk, which is why that the user that Apache runs as (ubersvn) needs to have permissions for your repositories on disk. This is normal and doesn't just apply to uberSVN or even Subversion -- it applies to all web applications running inside Apache.

If you use the "chown" or "chmod" commands on your repositories without knowing the implications, you stand a very good chance of breaking your uberSVN installation as you have discovered. As ianwild has said, restoring the permissions to what they were before should fix it.
                          Last edited by mbooth; 04-30-2011, 10:32 AM.

Comment

To add to this, If you need to change Apache I assume you will also want to change the user that the uberSVN portal itself runs as (this is also ubersvn by default)?

I'd like to test this before providing any detailed instructions and as I'm currently travelling that's not quite as easy as it sounds. We can certainly get back to you on this before Tuesday and it should be a pretty quick process to make the change in any case.

Ian

Comment

Mat,

Thank you for the information. It is very helpful.

Nelson

Comment

Working...
                              X