Installing UberSVN on a closed network

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing UberSVN on a closed network

I work on a very small team, and we have access to two virtual Windows machines in a closed network where we can access electronic medical record collections for information retrieval research. Our two machines can access the same network drive, and if you are running a web service on one of the machines you can access it from the other one. That's about it. We can't access any other machines or the wider internet from either of these machines, and we can't access either of these machines except via the VPN connection that the administrators of the cluster that these machines belong to have set up and a special file upload utility that I used today to upload the UberSVN installer.

I installed UberSVN on one of our machines and specified a directory on the shared network drive for the default repository path. The installation completed with no errors and passed all of the checklist items at the end. Next, I launched the UberSVN web app and tried to create a repository, but the steps I tried didn't work. I assume these steps are the right ones to use:

1. Click on the Repositories tab.
    2. Click the +Add button.
    3. Type a name for the Repository Name into the top text box on the page titled Name and URL that is displayed. Use the same string in the Location text box.
    4. Click Next.
    5. Use the "Create new repository" option with the "Create trunk, branches and tags directories" box checked. Click Done.

At this point, an error message is displayed that says, "Repository UW_Repository could not be created: Repository location is not accessible." Since the UberSvn Windows services are logged in with the Local Service user id, it's possible that the default repository path I specified on the shared network drive is accessible to me, but not to them. I don't see how to change that location to something else, though. I noticed that when folder selection windows were displayed, I could only work with the machine's C: drive. It would not work for us to put repositories on the C: drives on our two machines, as they are very small and almost full. Each machine has a much larger second drive that I would like to use if the shared network drive can't be used. Could someone point me to information about how to change the default repository path and how to ways to verify that I have things set up right.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Never mind the questions about changing the default repository path and creating a repository. I figured that much out. I would like to know if anyone knows of any special considerations we will need to keep in mind about having this svn installation on a small, closed network.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Comment

Hi there,

A closed network won't be a day-to-day problem, except that the social bits of uberSVN won't work (twitter posts, polling etc), but with a team of 2 that shouldn't be an issue.

You will struggle when it comes to updates though, unless you can allow access for the update server.

Comment

Originally posted by Mand View Post
        You will struggle when it comes to updates though, unless you can allow access for the update server.
        No plans to offer an offline updated to help people with more restrictive networks out?

Comment

We do have the facility to do offline updates, this is something we offer to customers who take a support contract for uberSVN.

Comment

Working...
          X