Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder access and dump issues

Hi,

I recently (about two month ago) installed UberSVN from a classical Subversion server.

A client needs to have access to one of the folder of our repository, and I can't find a way to make it work....

I think the only solution would be to use the secondary authz file, but every team I put some rights on this file, Tortoise give me a "forbidden" answer.

Finally, i tried to do a classical dump of the folder which the client need to have access with this command :

"svnadmin dump E:\svn_repos | svndumpfilter include /my_folder/subfolder > mydump.svndump"

But it doesn't seems to work correctly anymore (compared to when I did it on my Subversion server) cause when I upload this dump on a new repository, it is empty (UberSVN says it's 1,8 Mo, but in fact it's 71,8 Mo...).

I'm running out of ideas.

Any tips ?

Thanks !

Hi Eizig,

Vanilla uberSVN only allows or disallows access at a per-Repository level, so unfortunately you won't be able to delve into the repo and set user access at specific levels. Any manual updates made to the standard authz file that uberSVN uses will likely be overwritten but the alternative authz file option, set at a per-repo level might work for you, providing the user A) Exists in the htpasswd file and B) The alternative authz file has the correct structure. To confirm this, I'd suggest taking uberSVN completely out of the mix and ensuring that with a standard SVN server setup, you can get access working as you want, with a manually created authz file. Then layer uberSVN back in one step at a time.

As an aside, the more detailed level of access that you're after can be gained via the use of the Access Control app. You can get this on a 14 day trial for free, via the uberAPPS store but if you want to continue using it after that you'll need to purchase a full license.

As for the dump issue, I can't really advise on what could be going on there but from an SVN server POV, uberSVN won't make any changes that might affect SVN admin commands. It's a self-contained deployment, so any pre-existing SVN server setups will remain unaffected by uberSVN.

Thanks

Wayne

Comment

Wmellors,

Thanks a lot, this is really helpful !

About manual updates to the standard authz file, I tried this and indeed, my modifications have been overwritten.

About the Access Control, it looks like the solution to my problem, but I'm wondering if I can try it then return to my free-UberSVN version without any problem, as this server is in production right know... Also, do you have any information about the price of this app ?

About the dump, I found something (http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/s...aint.filtering), it looks like I have to do a full dump of my repository first, then apply a svndumpfilter to my full dump. I'm doing this right know, I'll keep you posted about the result.

Thanks again !

Comment

You're welcome!

So on the authz point, there are two authz files that can used by uberSVN. The standard authz file, set as default will always be updated via uberSVN itself, so there's little point in trying to manually update that outside of the UI. However, the other is the alternative authz file that uberSVN won't interact with. The intent of which is to allow external systems to manage the alternative authz file and not have uberSVN overwrite. However, this would require a certain level of understanding on authz structure, which is why I suggested you experiment outside of uberSVN and get things how you need them, before then layering back into uberSVN.

On Access Control, once deployed the AC trial will require all access and authentication to be prepped by slightly different means. You'll get an additional Access Control tab on the main view, which essentially becomes your window into admin, moving away from the regular uberSVN UI. After AC is deployed, it should also automatically copy all your uberSVN details, so users, repos, teams, etc into the AC environment but you'll then need to go into each AC team and setup resources (structure levels within the repo, as you need) and also rules (allow, deny, read, etc, per user or team). Be aware, however that the trial must run to completion before it will become inactive and your system reverts back to its old self. There's currently no way to uninstall the app, ahead of the trial expiry. As such, I'd suggest setting up a test system somewhere and using that for the AC trial, so as to not affect your production environment too much.

Regards the pricing around a full version of Access Control, it really depends on your needs, such as the amount of users and that kind of thing. If you can let me know some of those kinds of details, I'll forward it onto the Sales team and see if they drop you a line to discuss (if you're OK with that).

Good luck with the dump!

Cheers

Wayne

Comment

Again, thanks for your answer !

I tried to use the alternate authz file, but I guess it's harder to configure that it looks like, because I didnt' succeed to apply the rights I wanted. Even though I looked at the principal authz file to configure the alternate one...

I also tried the alternative way for the manual dump (dump the whole repository first, then use "svndumpfilter" on the dump file) but it didn't work, I had the same result as when I tried before... I really can't figure out why...

I think I will install another UberSVN on a different server in order to try out Access Control. I will send a PM with some information, it would be great if you could forward it to the sales team !

Thank you once again for your help !

Comment

Originally posted by Eizig View Post
            Again, thanks for your answer !

I tried to use the alternate authz file, but I guess it's harder to configure that it looks like, because I didnt' succeed to apply the rights I wanted. Even though I looked at the principal authz file to configure the alternate one...
            One important aspect to remember is that the alternative authz file must also be set within uberSVN at a per-repo level. Did you set this, before attempting to authenticate?

I also tried the alternative way for the manual dump (dump the whole repository first, then use "svndumpfilter" on the dump file) but it didn't work, I had the same result as when I tried before... I really can't figure out why...
            Hmm, I can't really think of anything to suggest but I'll forward this on and see if I can get you some help.

I think I will install another UberSVN on a different server in order to try out Access Control. I will send a PM with some information, it would be great if you could forward it to the sales team ! Thank you once again for your help !
            I'll forward that information now. You're more than welcome!

Thanks

Wayne

Comment

Working...
            X