End-User Micro-Administration of Repositories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End-User Micro-Administration of Repositories

I realize that ldap authentication is in the works. However, once it is implemented, would it be possible to give end-users limited administrative access? IE, I'd like for endusers to create their own projects, and have full control over things like inviting other users, making the project open/closed source, etc.. but prevent them from altering other projects and whatnot. Essentially, I'd like for it to mimic the functionality of something like assembla or googlecode. Is this at all possible with uberSVN?

Thanks for your time,

Dusten

---
    Dusten Sobotta
    Software Engineer

dusten@sentinel-engine.org
    www.sentinel-engine.org/dusten

Hi Dusten,

The thinking behind uber isn't so much that it would let you run a publicly hosted site, however the design I've done for LDAP would allow a user be an admin of just one repository and only have access to managing the permissions and authentication settings for just that repo. Further down the line we'll offer a more delegated access control solution here, but that probably won't be free.

Ian

Comment

Thanks for your quick response, Ian.

That's reasonable. Alternatively then, are there command-line alternatives to the wizards that drive the creation of repositories in uberSVN? Take the following scenario for instance:

I already have to create a number of frontends and services for my ldap users. Currently, I have a system in place that allows an authorized user to, with one command and the name of a project, create svn, trac, wiki, etc; only that user has access to it. Ultimately, I'd like to provide this functionality to all users in a much nicer, consolidated frontend--not much unlike that of uberSVN.

I guess what I'd like is to use uberSVN to handle the administration and social aspects of development, while other services handle the creation of these users and repositories. What is the likelihood of the API being opened, so that proprietary services such as those mentioned above can utilize the power of uberSVN?

Thanks again,

Dusten

---
      Dusten Sobotta
      Software Engineer

Comment

The API you're asking for is almost already there in fact under the covers, but it's not public yet and I can't commit to a date when it will be. We do have some dependencies that need to be in place first. However I understand better what you want to do and I think it's a pretty cool suggestion. All I can do is suggest you leave it with me and give me a shout if periodically if you'd like an update on progress at any point.

Best Wishes,

Ian

Comment

That's great news! If a product such as this could be layered seamlessly on svn like trac (especially with ldap authentication), then I think you'd find yourself with a lot of new customers

Looking forward to updates,

Dusten

---
          Dusten Sobotta
          Software Engineer

Comment

Hi Dusten,

In the current product you can achieve some of what you want already.

You will still have to create the repository but on the permissions page if you remove the "Everyone" team and then add an individual user you can set them as an admin for this repository. They will then be able to add users or teams and perform some basic administration of the repository.

If you need any further help then please let me know.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
            X