Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to merge the changes in another branch which was merged from trunk back to trunk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to merge the changes in another branch which was merged from trunk back to trunk

Here is the case:
    1. branch 1 was branched from trunk
    2. new changes at trunk after branch 1 is branched was merged from trunk into branch 1 in the middle of development of branch 1. Let's say the revision number is rev_from_trunk_at_branch_1 at branch 1
    3. now, we want to merge all the changes at the branch 1 back to trunk, during this merge, can we merge the rev_from_trunk_at_branch_1 back to trunk as well or we need to skip it? From my experience, generally I need to skip it since I could run into a lot of conflicts when merging the changes which already exist at trunk back to trunk again. Is there a better way than skipping it since it is pain to pick the merge range when there are quite some merges from trunk at branch 1.

Plus if merging for rev_from_trunk_at_branch_1, there could be some merge conflicts, they would be resolved at that merge. However since the resolved changes are at rev_from_trunk_at_branch_1, it won't be merged back into trunk if this revision is skipped. So that would mean that I would have to resolve the same conflicts again when merging branch 1 back to trunk.

Could any one shed some lights on this?
    Last edited by pli; 07-22-2011, 05:44 PM.
Working...
X