Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the difference between "last-changed" and "highest locally available" revs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the difference between "last-changed" and "highest locally available" revs?

Hi,

I'm looking at the manual for svnversion (http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/s...ersion.re.html) and it says:

--committed (-c)

Uses the last-changed revisions rather than the current (i.e., highest locally available) revisions.
    I don't understand how last-changed is different than highest local revision. Wouldn't the highest local revision be the same number as the last-changed revision? Except maybe with an M?

What confuses me is that since svnversion looks at my local files, how could one the last-changed revision change without the highest locally available revision change, or vice versa?

If they're not the same, could someone explain how they become different? Perhaps I'm working too simply for this to be a factor...we just check out code from the server, modify, test, commit. Still, I'm trying to wrap my head around how Subversion works and I think understanding this bit about revisions will help.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul,

the only sense I can make of what is written is that the --committed switch will take the latest revision as present on the server rather than what is in the working copy. But this doesn't seem to be what it does in reality. All I see is that with -c it provides a range instead of a single revision (so 1:31P instead of 31).

I'm none the wiser...

Jon

Comment

Seems to be the difference between "Revision" and "Last Changed Revision". I make check out revision 35 of the repository, but in this sub-tree or branch, the last committed change was revision 31. Without -c, it will report 35, with -c, it will report the range up to the latest modification.

Comment

Working...
      X