Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repo Setup & Directory Structure

Hi All,
    New to this forum but am in need of Subversion architecture assistance. We have multiple app teams each with multiple applications in process. The manual states that each app is a, "top level subdirectory." Is it acceptable to have each team a top level subdirectory with the applications they work on as subdirectories under that top level? Will this impact the functions of Subversion if we setup our directories in this manner?
    In other words:

Team 1
    - - - - /app 1/
    - - - - /app 2/
    Team 2
    - - - - /New App 1/
    - - - - /New App 2/

Sounds like it'd work fine - each team's individual folder would be a separate branch by the sound of it, if you want them all in the same repository. It might be easier though to have each team working from a different repository though, if they're working on separate projects that don't need to be merged?

Comment

Separate repository, hmmm. Does that mean I can have multiple repositories in the same install? I have not seen that in my reading, and I am a beginner with this product so forgive my ignorance. If I can have multiple repos under one install, how do I go about setting that up? Since it would seem like this is more than a simple response, please just refer me to a link that would tell me.
      Last edited by drummer; 08-15-2014, 11:31 AM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Yes, absolutely - that's what it's designed to do

Your best bet would probably be http://svnbook.red-bean.com/ - it's a fantastic resource. This section: http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/s...s.chooselayout would probably be a good place to start given your initial question, even if it is fairly well into the book - it's easy enough to jump about and search for what you need though.

Hope that helps

Comment

Thank you very much ...

Comment

Hey Matt - one more (general string of) quick question(s) along these same lines - in reading the SVN PDF, it talks about local copies and often grays the lines between the repo and what is meant by local copy. It just struck me that it seems the local copy to which they refer are located on the home directory of the Linux server. Is this the case? If so, is it safe to assume (yeah I know) that the svn commands are only applicable to the server home directories and not when a check out is performed to the desktop? Or can one use the svn commands but use a file:/// command to state the desktop local copy?

Comment

Local copy is usually another way of referring to the working copy, which is checked out of the repository and committed back after changes have been made.

I suspect the confusion is because you can check out a working copy of a repository either to a different directory on the same machine that hosts the repositories, or to a remote machine that has the subversion client installed.

svn commands are used on working copies, whether they are on the same machine as the repository or not. svnadmin commands are administrative and run on the repository, usually for maintenance or moving repositories around (hope that doesn't add to the confusion!).

You can check out a working copy to whatever directory you like, as long as your user has write permissions for that directory - they're not restricted to the desktop or anything. Having said that though, a lot of them won't work if they aren't run from a directory that contains a working copy as there'd be nothing for them to do.

The file:// protocol would indicate the working copy is being checked out to the same machine that hosts the repositories, yes - there's other protocols though, e.g. svn://, svn+ssh:// or even http:// depending on how the repository server has been configured.

I hope that helps clear things up and doesn't raise too many more questions - not that I'm not happy to answer them (as long as I'm able to), just that I don't want to add any confusion to the mix

Comment

Working...
              X