Newbie: how to make a previous revision HEAD revision again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie: how to make a previous revision HEAD revision again

I have couple files in my SVN repo lets say at version 100. It turned out that the development since version 80 was a sort of a dead end, so I need to continue the development from that point. I guess I could delete all the versions from 81 to 100, but at the same time those version have some value as well, so I rather dont want to do that.

What I really need is that version 80 to become version 101.

I am not sure how to get there. Also maybe my concept is wrong and it should be achieved in a different way.

Please help me out. thx.

Use tortoise svn,
    Do an svn checkout of the revision you want then work form that checkout.

Comment

Hi there,

An easy way to do this is a merge to a specific revision (in your case 80). There's a great section on this in the SVN manual here (called 'Undoing Changes).

Comment

Originally posted by squeekjjy View Post
        Use tortoise svn,
        Do an svn checkout of the revision you want then work form that checkout.
        I use tortoise svn, but I am not sure if I understand your solution. I can check out version80, but then I can not commit it as version101.

Comment

Originally posted by Mand View Post
          Hi there,

An easy way to do this is a merge to a specific revision (in your case 80). There's a great section on this in the SVN manual here (called 'Undoing Changes).
          Kudos. I have tried that and it works just fine. Thanks!

It seems I dont understand the concept of "merging" though. Merging in my vocabulary means to combine the changes from two (or more) changesets into one. But I am a newbie, so I probably have to read that document carefully.

Comment

Yeah, merging can have many meanings in Subversion. It could be merging your working copy to the trunk, where someone else has made a change, or merging a couple of branches together, or the use case you have here (which is often called a reverse merge). That just complicated matters further though.

Command line Subversion can be very powerful if you know your way around it, and there's no better place to start than the manual I linked to earlier, especially as you can cherry pick sections as and when your knowledge and needs grow.

Comment

Working...
            X