Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waiting for obliterate, other options

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Waiting for obliterate, other options

    I accidentally added and committed a huge file to our SVN repository. Like a 2GB file, I immediately deleted it, but of course this doesn't actually delete it. This also breaks our off site backup. Before this our SVN repo was 70MB. I want this revision gone. Unfortunately this was done over a month ago, and I've just now noticed that the off site backup isn't working.

    I can see the file in /repositories/repo/db/revs/1, it's a huge 2GB file.

    What would happen if I just deleted this file? Would this break SVN?

    I also saw something about dumping and filtering and restoring, but I'd rather just delete the revision if I can, everything in this revision is garbage, all the files added in it were immediately deleted.

    Thanks,
    Nathan

  • #2
    Originally posted by nathani View Post
    I accidentally added and committed a huge file to our SVN repository. Like a 2GB file, I immediately deleted it, but of course this doesn't actually delete it. This also breaks our off site backup. Before this our SVN repo was 70MB. I want this revision gone. Unfortunately this was done over a month ago, and I've just now noticed that the off site backup isn't working.

    I can see the file in /repositories/repo/db/revs/1, it's a huge 2GB file.

    What would happen if I just deleted this file? Would this break SVN?
    Yes, you will break your repository. Do not ever touch the contents of the repository database directly through the filesystem.

    If a file of this size breaks your backup system, you need a new backup system (you aren't using a free Dropbox account for your offsite backup, are you?). And if you aren't aware that your backups haven't been working for a month and you've been unaware, you need a system that provides better alerting & reporting - or at the very least, keep closer tabs on it.

    Originally posted by nathani View Post
    I also saw something about dumping and filtering and restoring, but I'd rather just delete the revision if I can
    That is how you "delete a revision".

    Bear in mind that when you do this, you will have to check out new working copies because your WCs will now be expecting revision X, but the repository is at revision X-1.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks, I'm aware that the backup system isn't up to snuff, but I'm not an IT guy. However, since there is no IT here, I am often doing IT stuff. It's a very small office and before I came on board there was no such thing as off site backups, or backups even. Our SVN runs on a windows box and I use a scheduled task to FTP a copy to a free site. So yeah, it's kinda like a free drop box account. If you have any other suggestions, I'm open to it. But it's got to be free or atleast cheap...

      Thanks for the info, I will go the dumping and filtering route.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by nathani View Post
        Thanks, I'm aware that the backup system isn't up to snuff, but I'm not an IT guy. However, since there is no IT here, I am often doing IT stuff. It's a very small office and before I came on board there was no such thing as off site backups, or backups even. Our SVN runs on a windows box and I use a scheduled task to FTP a copy to a free site. So yeah, it's kinda like a free drop box account. If you have any other suggestions, I'm open to it. But it's got to be free or atleast cheap...
        If it's important enough to keep in Subversion, it's important enough to spend a few bucks on a quality, reliable backup system. Quite simply, there are costs to doing business properly.

        How is that free site backed up? Is it secure (if you're using plain FTP and not SFTP/FTPS, it's not)?

        I can't bring up their sites from my office to check (firewall), but Mozy & Carbonite both have (I believe) corporate backup plans you can purchase.

        Comment


        • #5
          I totally agree, but unfortunately I don't handle the purse strings. I'll look into again and make my case again, when I have a minute to spend on my other job (IT).

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by nathani View Post
            I totally agree, but unfortunately I don't handle the purse strings. I'll look into again and make my case again, when I have a minute to spend on my other job (IT).
            Carbonite for Small Businesses starts at $229/year

            Mozy Pro seems to start fairly affordable too.

            There's also CrashPlan Pro which spells out their pricing options very simply.

            If the safety of your data isn't worth a couple hundred bucks a year, then what message does that send about your business?

            I'm not a shill for any of these companies, in fact I've never even used any of their services. Just trying to help you build your case. These services are really, really cheap when you consider what it costs (hours and dollars) to set up a DLT drive, enterprise backup utilities, and an account with Iron Mountain to store your tapes.
            Last edited by andyl; 12-15-2011, 01:30 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'll definitely put this forward again. Thanks for the info!

              Comment

              Working...
              X