Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SVN Properties at server side

Hi all,

I need to know whether it is possible to use Properties(like log,external) at server side.

If not any other way to do this ???

Thanks...

Hi there,

It might be better if you give us the real-world problem you're trying to solve. You've started many threads, and in some cases been advised that what you want to do is a very bad thing.

However, if you give us the scenario we may be able to give you a less dangerous or easier to maintain solution to your problem.

Comment

Hi Mand,

We need to add the Author,Rev,Date & log(Commit comments) to the source file while committing at server side like keywords. Every Check in operation it should added to the source file. This may useful for the developer to know the last committed date, Who committed, changes made(Commit comments) through the source file itself.

Another thing is External. Is it possible to use External at server side ??? we are using Label concept, so that we will have to copy the entire project to the desired location. So there is replication of project. To overcome this we need to use Externals at server side.
      Or any other way to do this ???

Thanks

Comment

Yeah, sorry I wasn't clear, the real question is probably why you want to do this?

For the first part, all of that information is available in the log. Why would the developer not just use the log if that info is needed. Or you can use keywords on the client side (as presumably the developer will be checking out or updating their existing working copy in order to work on any particular file). You could have a pre-commit hook that fails if the keyword property isn't set to force people to maintain the info.

I'm not really sure what your second paragraph is saying, what do you mean by 'label' concept? Why do you need externals at server side?

Comment

We need maintain the source file in server like this(with Last modified date, Author,...).

i have used auto-prop at server side like

*.txt = svn:keywords=Date Author Id Revision in my svnserve.conf file

But In my source file $Date$ and $Author$ only expanded, but $Rev$ and $Id$ are not expanded...

Pls help to expand those two properties.

And Is it possible to expand svn:log property ???

Comment

Originally posted by satheesh
            We need maintain the source file in server like this(with Last modified date, Author,...).

But In my source file $Date$ and $Author$ only expanded, but $Rev$ and $Id$ are not expanded...

I get that you say you need to do this, what I don't get is why.

Originally posted by satheesh
            Another thing, Is it possible to expand svn:log property ???
            No, as andyl told you in another thread previously. Here is why. Again, I don't get why you want to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by satheesh View Post

Properties are not stored "expanded" in the repository. They are expanded by the client at the time of checking out or updating. Storing them expanded in the repository would be very problematic.

You cannot set properties at the server side. In pre-commit, check that committed files have the properties required set. If they don't, reject the commit. But having the properties set isn't enough - you need the keywords in the files to be expanded.

And Is it possible to expand svn:log property ???
              For the sixth time NO

Comment

Thanks all,

My svnserve.conf file
                [miscellany]
                enable-auto-props = yes
                use-commit-times = yes
                [auto-props]
                * = svn:keywords=LastChangedDate LastChangedRevision LastChangedBy Id
                my txt file content:

$LastChangedDate: 2012-09-07 10:34:50 +0530 (Fri, 07 Sep 2012) $
                $LastChangedRevision$
                $LastChangedBy: harry $
                $Id$

Comment

Originally posted by Mand View Post

I'm not really sure what your second paragraph is saying, what do you mean by 'label' concept? Why do you need externals at server side?
                  After a particular commit(Update of Project), We need backup for future purpose(For safety,or rollback). So that we will have to copy the entire project under tags/"Label-name"/Project.

here "Label" is name of the folder which contains the copy of the project.

How can we achieve this without copy of the project ??? that's why asking whether it is possible to use externals at server side....

Thanks

Comment

Your svnserve.conf should have none of those entries. Those go in your client configuration. Client configuration is not controlled by the server.

Before you ask about it, auto-props only apply to new files (at the time they're added). You will need to add those properties to existing files. Again, at the client.

You need to read the manual. http://svnbook.org

Comment

Thanks andyl,

After a particular commit(Update of Project), We need backup for future purpose(For safety,or rollback). So that we will have to copy the entire project under tags/"Label-name"/Project.

here "Label" is name of the folder which contains the copy of the project.

How can we achieve this without copy of the project ??? that's why asking whether it is possible to use externals at server side....

Comment

If you need replication why not use something like svnsync? It's what it's there for.

Comment

Thanks Mand,

svnsync also again a Replication of project. but without replication is any idea is there at server side ???

Comment

You want to replicate the repository, without using replication?

Comment

Originally posted by Mand View Post
                              You want to replicate the repository, without using replication?
                              No, Now we are using Replication, But We need alternate(Without Replication) how can we do this??? like Externals.

Another thing, The number of request for normal folder checkout & Externals Checkout are same ??? or different ???
                              Last edited by satheesh; 09-10-2012, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X