Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I created a branch of my project but most of my references weren't copied over to it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I created a branch of my project but most of my references weren't copied over to it.

I just created a branch of my project in Visual studio using VisualSVN but when I switched to the new Branch My Program wouldn't run.

I looked in the program references and only the standard microsoft references were there; none of the other references for dll's etc were there.
    I am very new to SVN and don't understand what I could be doing wrong.
    I did read and follow a tutorial on creating Branches and think I did it right?
    I deleted the Branch and tried again but got the same result.

Any pointers or advice would be appreciated

Branching in Subversion is done using the "svn copy" command.
    From/to where you create your branches is typically an agreed upon policy.

Since I don't use VS, I don't know if there's a requirement to the policy or not...

In general, however, a Subversion working area should really only be from a single branch (not from root-of-repository).

Comment

[QUOTE=DougR;n81018]Branching in Subversion is done using the "svn copy" command.
      From/to where you create your branches is typically an agreed upon policy.

Since I don't use VS, I don't know if there's a requirement to the policy or not...

In general, however, a Subversion working area should really only be from a single branch (not from root-of-repository).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply.
      I'm not a professional Programmer so I don't really understand the last line of your reply.
      My main working copy is on the Trunk in VisualSvn which is a wrapper for TortoiseSVN and I just create a Branch from either the working copy, a specific revision or the Head.
      I created a branch from the head and the program was copied onto the new Branch but would not run because none of the program references were copie over.
      Maybe this problem is just specific to Visual Studio?

Thanks

Mike

Comment

MIght help with some actual examples. Please anonymize the server name and folder names if they contain special keywords. Would be good to see what your URL's are for the "trunk" and "branch"?

And sometimes, if you change the working copy (new/different versions of files, folders, etc.) then there's likely some "refresh" button that you need to click in VS...

Comment

Here are the two Url's
          file:///C:/Repositories/#####/trunk/projectname1
          file:///C:/Repositories/#####/branches/projectname2

I have included screenshot of my references Most Microsoft stuff has been copied but other refs have not. I'm Just wondering if it's something to do with where they stored in the project? [ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-attachmentid":81025}[/ATTACH]
          Attached Files

Comment

Do you have 1 working copy or 2 working copies? Is this 1 or 2 VS projects?

Normally the "branches" directory has branch-names, not project-names.

Comment

What I am aiming for is two working copies. I have two copies but only the original actually works
              During the process of creating the branch, I was asked to name it so I named it the same as the project. I didn't know otherwise!

I found that there were more errors in the new branch project, one of the resx files for the main form was corrupt and I couldn't open the designer.
              There might be many more errors that I have not found yet.

I think I need to learn more about Svn !

Comment

Sadly I can't read the screenshot you posted above - came through/recorded too small and even enlarging it means only blurred image.

Whether or not the files can be read depends on whether they were added to the repository AND quite possibly the file's internal layout. Let's say that the file has a list of paths and after you've branched the files are not in the correct place - so VS sees it as corrupt. I'd call foul on the integration at that point.

Unfortunately, I don't use VS so really can't help. Cheers.

Comment

Thanks, I couldn't seem to get the pic any larger. I've given up Branching for now.
                  Probably best not to use something you don't understand ! :rolleyes:

Comment

Working...
                  X