Increasing SVN drive size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increasing SVN drive size

Hello, I have SVN virtual machine which uses ISCSI shared drive over the network, I want to increase the size of this drive. After detaching, increasing the size and attaching it again to the VM can I expect any problems with the SVN (for example not liking the new size of drive)?

Not sure. Probably best to back everything up and give it a try.

Comment

[QUOTE=DougR;n80903]Not sure. Probably best to back everything up and give it a try.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I've decided to try another method... I'm thinking of attaching another bigger drive (B), copy the whole content from drive A to drive B. Detach drive A and attach drive B to my origin mount point. Will the SVN cause any problems if he sees another drive with different name mounted on the origin mount point?

Comment

SVN will not look at anything other than the file system. It won't check the mount table to see if something moved.

That said, make sure the copy is EXACT (e.g. rsync). Also, if you're using Apache for access then you should stop Apache before doing any unmounting. Same for svnserve.

Comment

[QUOTE=DougR;n80905]SVN will not look at anything other than the file system. It won't check the mount table to see if something moved.

That said, make sure the copy is EXACT (e.g. rsync). Also, if you're using Apache for access then you should stop Apache before doing any unmounting. Same for svnserve.[/QUOTE]

Pardon my lack of knowledge, what exactly do you mean by that SVN will look at only the filesystem, both disks are ext3 format and I'm planning to mount the larger drive at the exact same mount point after I'm done with the transfer of the files. Is there anything more to be done, that I don't know about? For copying files, I was thinking of just copying the content of the whole drive to another drive, won't that be enough (I haven't tried rsync yet).

Comment

The "file system", overall, is made up the "root file system" (a.k.a. "/") and all other independent file systems mounted on the root or other file systems (file systems mount over directories and you can have a file system mounted on top of pretty much any directory (except for pseudo-directories like "/proc"). SVN will not look to determine where the file systems are mounted so you're safe if the copy is exact and you mount the new, larger, drive over the original directory (hopefully *after* unmounting the old, smaller, drive).

Copying comes with varying decrease of exactness. In general, with repositories I teach EXACT copies. Just using some UI window to drag/drop won't do the "right thing". You need to use the proper tool for the job and this job requires "rsync". If you're new then "rsync" is very complicated. Here's an example (use the "root" account):

root# rsync -vacHS --delete /Path/Of/Old/Mount/Point/ /Path/Of/New/Mount/Point/

The trailing '/' is critical. In this case the "Old" and "New" have to be mounted at the same time. When you're done you'll unmount the old and mount the new to the old mount point. Make sure you fix up any static tables (e.g. /etc/fstab) or you might get "surprised" in the future.

Hope that helps.

Comment

[QUOTE=DougR;n80907]The "file system", overall, is made up the "root file system" (a.k.a. "/") and all other independent file systems mounted on the root or other file systems (file systems mount over directories and you can have a file system mounted on top of pretty much any directory (except for pseudo-directories like "/proc"). SVN will not look to determine where the file systems are mounted so you're safe if the copy is exact and you mount the new, larger, drive over the original directory (hopefully *after* unmounting the old, smaller, drive).

Copying comes with varying decrease of exactness. In general, with repositories I teach EXACT copies. Just using some UI window to drag/drop won't do the "right thing". You need to use the proper tool for the job and this job requires "rsync". If you're new then "rsync" is very complicated. Here's an example (use the "root" account):

root# rsync -vacHS --delete /Path/Of/Old/Mount/Point/ /Path/Of/New/Mount/Point/

The trailing '/' is critical. In this case the "Old" and "New" have to be mounted at the same time. When you're done you'll unmount the old and mount the new to the old mount point. Make sure you fix up any static tables (e.g. /etc/fstab) or you might get "surprised" in the future.

Hope that helps.[/QUOTE]

Thank you :)
              Just for my own sake... I mount the (B)igger drive, stopApache & svnserve services, use rsync to copy everything, make sure It's done, detach A (old drive), mount the (B)igger drive to the origin mount point, start Apache & svnserve service and I should be fine?
              I did not found information about the -vacHS argument, is this part of rsync syntax? Also, would I need --delete if my new (B) drive is empty?

Comment

See the man "page" for rsync - it runs on for many pages. Each of those letters is a different option. At least one of them "-a" is a short-cut for a bunch of options. The "--delete" option is really only needed on the 2nd and subsequent runs, but it can't hurt on the 1st either so I always include it.

And, yes, that's a pretty-good step-by-step if I'm reading you correctly.

Comment

[QUOTE=DougR;n80909]See the man "page" for rsync - it runs on for many pages. Each of those letters is a different option. At least one of them "-a" is a short-cut for a bunch of options. The "--delete" option is really only needed on the 2nd and subsequent runs, but it can't hurt on the 1st either so I always include it.

And, yes, that's a pretty-good step-by-step if I'm reading you correctly.[/QUOTE]

Las thing... is it important to stop Apache & svnserve BEFORE I start to copy everything with rsync or I have to stop it just so I can unmount the drives (after copying everything with rsync)?

Comment

It is critical NOT to try to copy "data in motion". If Apache/svnserve are up and running then someone may be checking in additional stuff while the copy is happening. If that occurs then the resulting copy may be subtly or significantly damaged. Either case is BAD. So turn them OFF before the copy is begun.

Comment

I actually just turned off all rights for rw AND turned off apache service just to be sure, anyways I did the thing and now everything is running with no problems (so far).

Thank you!

Comment

Very nice. Yes, you can remove RW rights - that should "do it" as well.

Comment

Working...
                        X