Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to view user`s messages from local copy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to view user`s messages from local copy?

Hello!
    Our team has used TortoiseSVN since 2013 year. Unfortunately, we have set up a multi-user repository on a network share (don`t ask me why. It was not my idea at all. And I haven`t full access to this). So, repository locates on one of our machines (that we call "server").
    One day our network was hitted with a computer virus ((( The disk with repository has been damaged wholly. And we were had to start over. On the same URL...with the same options...with the same UUID (don`t ask me why one more time, please)
    But! My local working copy was under the protection. Now I have back-up-copy of wc.db and .svn folder as it had been before virus attack. I don`t need to view in the whole history or to view diffs, but viewing just user`s revision messages is really important for me.
    If there's any way to force TortoiseSVN "look up" messages in older folder? Or view revision number`s messages info from wc.db (may be by sql query)?
    For committing changes to the "new" repository I have another user account (it`s not problem for me)
    I use TortoiseSVN 1.10 on Windows 8 pro (64 Bit)

ps Pay no attention to my terrible English please.

Sounds like you never took backup copies? If not, very sorry.

I know of no way to get TortoiseSVN (or any SVN client) to look up log messages in the working copy. They are always found in the repository itself.

The best that I can say is that you have a single copy of the contents of the branch that your working copy was on. That should be immediately preserved via a backup. And, unless your other co-workers have their own copies based off of different revisions then it will need to serve as revision 1 of the new repo. You likely won't even be able to use the working copy directly: you'll need to copy out all of the files/directories and use them to create a new working copy against the new repo.

And, yes, you're right to be leary about using the same UUID - that's completely wrong unless you've got a backup copy of your repo - and then this whole discussion would likely be mute.

Comment

[QUOTE=DougR;n80640]Sounds like you never took backup copies? [/QUOTE]
      We have only 1 back up (but it had been done in 2016...) So, now we have: all revisions since 2013-2016 (last revision in January 2017)....gap....the next revision in 2019.
      [QUOTE=DougR;n80640]I know of no way to get TortoiseSVN (or any SVN client) to look up log messages in the working copy. They are always found in the repository itself.
      [/QUOTE]
      I have seen by my own eyes messages that were in my local files (honestly). Then I`ve cleaned tmp files by CCleaner. I didn`t even imagine such effect...
      And I do see in the wc.db dates of 2017-2018 years

Comment

I'm not a committer - so do not know the internal workings of the working copy anywhere near like they do.

I'll ask: what version, exactly, are you using for TortoiseSVN?

In "recent" versions of SVN, the working copy holds a "pristine" (exact copy) of every file in your working copy so that some things can be done easily/locally. Looking at the working copy SQLite DB schema ('wc-metadata.sql') there do appear to be places for properties. However, the states of the population of those properties are unclear and appear to depend on which chunk of code is using them (e.g. NULL can me no properties or zero changes in properties from BASE).

So, while the information *might* be there, it's pretty much going to be a huge task to try to obtain it in a usable form now that the repo has been "historically compromised".

Comment

[QUOTE=DougR;n80640]using the same UUID - that's completely wrong unless you've got a backup copy of your repo - and then this whole discussion would likely be mute.[/QUOTE]
          I suppose that setting up a server will be my second step
          Thank you a lot for the answer )

Comment

The version of TortoiseSVN is 1.10.2, Build 28392 - 64 Bit.
            I really have got tha folder named "pristine"

Comment

I have had 2 user`s account in workgroup on my 1 computer. By user1`s account I had seen history in 1 folder. By user2`s account I had commited. Everything had been ok until I used Cleaner ((((
              Some local files I had used to help me view history that repository even didn`t know

Comment

[QUOTE=OlyaLora;n80645]By user2`s account I had commited[/QUOTE]
                Commit to a folder2, of course

Comment

Before you go any further you might want to make sure that you have a backup/archive of every working copy you can get your hands on. That way if some operation causes it to get trashed you can just restore from backup.

Comment

Working...
                  X