Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Check in and Out of a folder, from different machines daily at specific time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Check in and Out of a folder, from different machines daily at specific time

Hi,
    I am new to SVN usage. I was asked to develop a mechanism to check-in task a particular folder(ex: D:\BMS folder) every day 8PM from every developer machines(about 8 different machines). Now I am trying to explore the methods, can some one help me, how can I achieve this.

Thanks
    Ram

I'm assuming that D:\BMS is a repository root - not just a folder...

In general, that's a very bad policy. And it will be very difficult to implement. Ignoring the first required step of triggering the work on each machine (Linux=>'cron-like', Windows=>?) and using the developer's credentials (oops), the big problem will be automatically resolving the conflicts that will initially or eventually occur. Changes to the same file(s), dissimilar changes to directories, etc.

Proper conflict resolution will require a human being unless the work is 100% specified to be conflict free (e.g. starting with a file per developer and each developer only changes their own file). Even then, an "update before checkin" will need to occur. And, due to asynchronicity, will likely require a loop of (update, checkin/fail, update, checkin/fail, update, checking/success, stop).

Comment

Working...
    X