Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working Files vs. Commit Files on a Network Drive

Hi,

I currently have TortoiseSVN installed on my machine. I have setup a repository and inside the repo are sub-repos. Now each sub-repo is a study and will contain files specific to that study. The files are saved on a network drive, accessible to multiple users. I may be completely wrong but I either have not set this up properly or I am expecting something which does not happen.

[B]What I Expect to happen:[/B]
    1. I create, add and commit a file to the repo (version 1).
    2. A colleague checks the sub-repo out, they can see my file.
    3. I make an edit and commit the same file (version 2).
    4. A colleague does NOT run the SVN update process, therefore they will still only see version 1 of said file.
    5. The same colleague edits version 1
    6. The colleague tries to commit the file.
    6. An message pops informing the colleague the file had been previously commit and their version was out of date.

[B]What is actually happening:[/B]
    1. I create, add and commit a file to the repo (version 1).
    2. A colleague can already see the sub-repo, they did not need to check it out.
    3. I make an edit and commit the file again (version 2).
    4. A colleague does NOT run the SVN update process, but they can already see version 2 (they could see the file go from commit, to edited to re-commit in real time).
    5. When we both open the same file and edit, the last person to commit will become the latest file.
    6. No message appears.

It seems the repo is running in real time. But I want the files in the repo to do the following:

1. Files to only be visible to users when they check out the repo.
    2. Visible files to be commit version only, unless the user in question has edited one of the files, then them and only them will see an edited version (working copy).
    3. If I edit a file, my colleague should not be able to see the file has been edited, they still see a green tick on the file (i.e. the commit file prior to me editing it).

Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Craig

First thing: there is no such thing as "sub-repos". There's only 1 repository with multiple sub-repository paths. You can choose whatever you want to use the sub-repository paths for. In your case you are selecting to use each top-level directory (in the repository root directory) to house a different study. That's fine, although you might want to organize them somehow to prevent your repository root from containing, over time, a huge number of directories (it makes things slower than necessary).

Second, you didn't say how you and your colleague are accessing the repository. Is it via a http: (or https:) URL or via a "file:" URL? And you didn't say how your colleague is accessing the repository either (are they using TortoiseSVN?).

The "no conflict" situation can happen if the 2 of you are sharing the same working copy. Simple solution: don't do that.

Or the timing can be such that you checkin, they checkout, make changes, checkin, etc. No conflicts since the updates are strictly in-correct-time-order.

Comment

Working...
    X